Monday 3 October 2011

A rant

Natural, authentic, naturally made, naturally authentic...

"Beloved child has got many names"
(Kart barn har manga namn)
-Swedish saying

Or just plain faulty and undrinkable. 

Why do so many people in the wine industry feel the need to pick side in the Natural versus Conventional wine debate? What happened with diversity? Freedom of choice? Freedom of expression?
Who is important enough to sit on a pedestal and decide what we should drink? When I attend WSET classes I am strongly told that we do not mention "that beast", when asking whether we will cover the subject at all. How can the worlds most renowned Wine and Spirits Educational Trust not mirror reality, not even take notice of a certain style of wine making? I very much understand that it is a terribly complex idea to bring in to class when you are trying to make sense and teach the rules of this art. But at least acknowledge it's existence and encourage students to look it up on their spare time.

It sounds like I have chosen a side, while I can assure you I really haven't. I am simply utterly tired of the pie throwing.

What needs to go away is any type of snobbery. In all honesty, through my personal experience working as a sommelier in London, I've seen most of that attitude amongst the natural advocates.

The truth is there are both good and bad conventional or natural wines.


Why can't all philosophies of making wine - coexist?
What is so offensive about grape juice that is so alive it gives of natural aromas "faults". The petillant style still fermenting in the bottle to grace you with some soft bubbles upon opening. Actually writing that it sounds quite weird to be honest. But personally I'd drink that any day, rather than trying to suck wine through a piece of wood - the sensation a lot of red oaked monsters share. 
I wonder why the wine journalists of today does not attack the new era of s.k "Light Wines". Basically alcopops  in disguise. Or even the world of badly mass produced wines were more or less all the flavours are purely additives etc. (I am not all clued up on the chemistry YET so I'll let someone else explain the actual details).
No, they rather pick on the "new guy". 

Sigh...

Look wine, as in art, as in life has got many different expressions right? The more the merrier. Let people drink what they like, because there is surely a market for these deliciously "faulty" wines. If you don't like it - don't drink it! But please stop throwing your toys out of the pram just because Natural Wine has taken the seat as the popular kid for now.

In my experience the things that threaten you most are things you feel the need to attack.




No comments:

Post a Comment