Tuesday 11 October 2011

an autumn wine, and a very good time

                                                     A glass of gold?


I have not had much to write about lately.
I guess that's partly due to us settling in to Lewes and partly - there's not that much happening around here.
Hold on. Just had an epiphany writing that. There is lots going on around here. This is actually a lovely town with a great buzz. Buzzing of markets, festivals; musical and cultural talent. End of harvest has been widely celebrated. October Fest and such. We live close to the local football stadium and hear cheers on a regular basis. I could go on.
The point I am making - I should make more effort attending some activities. Get to know people as it really does seem like a friendly place. @VivaLewis on Twitter are great at informing and updating the calendar on a daily basis.

The "Symposium Wine Emporium" (yes, that is the name) is a brand new and ambitious independent wine merchant owned and run by two former Wine Business students at Plumpton College. Click http://www.symposium-finewine.co.uk/
They offer a few wines on glass, as well as the choice to buy a full bottle from their selection. Pay corkage to drink in house with a selection of sharing platters. Very modern.
They also pop open a bottle or four a day for you to taste. Well worth a visit. I certainly have.

On a personal note I sing! I have been asking around for a good choir and it seems to be many. So hopefully by the time I get back from this years James Busby Travel tour, I will have found the right place to exercise this huge part of my soul.

Speaking of...

It's drawing near and I am starting to feel really excited. It's been a long wait. This year will see wine buyers, sommeliers and journalists from all over the world - New York, India and my own dear country. Sweden is a very important market to reach and influence. The distinguished journalist joining us is none other than Jan Petterson. Jan is the writer for "Livets Goda", the biggest and most important Swedish wine magazine, reaching both trade and public. I have been told it's gonna be at least a nine page spread article covering this years tour and Australia. Brilliant! http://www.livetsgoda.se/

I can't wait to put my feet on down under soil. Stepping in to the role of photo and camera woman extraordinaire. ;)

My partner is flying out tomorrow already. He is this years international judge at the Melbourne Wine Show, and I am so proud of him. http://www.wineshow.com.au/pdf/International_Judges_appointment_June_2011.pdf

I've got studies and work to keep up so I will be heading out on the October the 20th, a day before the rest of the group. Starting in Sydney we will travel through:
- Hunter valley
- Yarra Valley
- Goulbourn Valley, Heathcote and Macedon Ranges
- Great Western
- Mornington Peninsula
- Clare Valley and McLaren Vale
- Barossa Valley
- Margaret River

Phew!

http://jamesbusbytravel.com/

I will keep you updated during the adventure.

In the mean time here's the answer to what was in the glass, you saw at the top of this page:


                                             
Nope, just a glass of Leon Barral 2009 (Faugeres, Languedoc). A luscious blend of 80% Terret Gris and Blanc with Viognier and Roussane making up the rest. Grown from 90 year old vines with strict triage with yields of 15hl/ha . Fermented in cement vats with natural yeast, aged in barrels with 1/3 new oak. Gone through malo. No filtration or fining - Didier, the producer, is apparently strongly against this kind of abuse to a wine. How does he feel about the modern bottling process?

"All you need is a north wind and an old moon"

To qoute Doug Wregg of "Les Caves de Pyrene":
- Biodynamic ntense dry white with a mix of sherry and honey aromatics and incredibly pure citrus-flecked palate. Worth broaching a celebratory lobster or regal turbot for, otherwise carafe it, turn down the lights and let it have it's wicked way with you.


Charlotte x

                             

No comments:

Post a Comment