Wednesday 21 September 2011

Harvest is upon us

The final day of the informative and friendly induction has ended and we are told that next week - is picking week. Yey!
I am very excited as it will be my first time. However this must be classed as quite an early harvest? We have been told to expect a lot of Downy Mildew and some Botrytis, therefor this years batch will be particularly small. Good, but small. We have been told to not stand in the way of (or end up under neath) the tractors, not to snip our fingers off with the help of secateurs; bend our knees instead of our backs and be careful about getting residual chemicals (i.e pesticides and herbicides) left around the vines and on the grapes - on our hands. I suppose in the respect that we may accidentally transfer it to our eyes and in our mouths. I couldn't help but think: "And that's going in the winery. Be made in to wine. For us to later sample?" Enough said.
Well I am here to learn as much as I can about the science behind it all and that includes keeping deceases at bay. In the future when I grow my own vines I can choose how I would like to work with them.

"Impara l'arte e mettila da parte"
(Learn the art then put it aside)
- Italian idiom

Other than that I will need to shop for overalls, steel capped boots, wet ware, lab coat, secateurs and books. I got a load of tasting glasses already. Not ISO's as I do not like them. At all.
I prefer buying the reading essentials as opposed to borrowing. I am sure I will have great use of them in the future. Fortunately I am studying part time which means I can spread the cost over a few years according to how the modules progresses. The first term I have chosen to start study Grapevine Biology next to the WSET Advanced Certificate, which is compulsory. I must say my greatest worry (and I don't think I am the only one) is getting up to speed with the maths and chemistry needed. Apparently it demands quite a quick learning curve. So I would ideally like start study towards that now, even though I won't take those modules until spring.
On a last note I have been given Mr. Chris Foss, the Head of Wine Department, as my personal Tutor and I must say I am very pleased. :)


x Charlotte

Ps. I will take pictures and post here, for those interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment