Monday 19 September 2011

Enrolment and Induction



The day finally arrived, and a bit of a mad one at that. Let's just say I wouldn't recommend moving house at the same time as commencing an entirely new chapter in your life.
Either way I would like to state that I am hereby officially enrolled at Plumpton College and Brighton University. A day consisting of fairly equal parts queuing, dealing with paperwork, getting friendly with fellow students while sipping the schools finest sparkling; going through the Student Handbook and Syllabus and feeling slightly confused playing the "Tank Game" with The Head of Wine Department - Mr. Chris Foss. Last, but certainly not least, I had to take the the opportunity to hang out with some unruly baby Ferrets and the mostly sleepy (cold?) Wallaby's.

       

So what are my first impressions?
Quite a friendly, helpful and relaxed environment. In the Wine Production, BSc (Hons) and Diploma team the students this year seem to consist of a fairly equal part females and males while the age, on the other hand, are more spread out. Over decades even. The youngest are fresh out of Further Education at 19 - the oldest a few years from retirement. Most people come from successful backgrounds having next to nothing to do with wine, wanting to make a new life for themselves. Very courageous and commendable; and exiting I hope!  Whilst very few, including myself, has previous experience and consider this our first Degree. I am looking forward to seeing how the discussions amongst us students with different backgrounds develope. I gather and hope that we will all learn most from exchanging ideas rather than just taking in the lectures or burry ourselves in our books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment