Friday 2 December 2011

Previous blogg-post continued




Why are some so ANGRY about BD? To the point of going out of their way to disprove it? Who is it harming? The article pointed to costs and labour. Well isn't that up to the grower it self to determine value? By pointing towards prices being higher in the market for these wines you are disrespecting the consumer suggesting it would pay for anything (well that could be correct for some). Whatever practise you as a vigneron choose to adapt, in the bottle - making good wine speaks for it self. Why are you then so worried about which of the agriculture philosophies that gets the most column inches?
Well I read the link you provided and, of course I understand the need for scientific proof and investigation. I am personally and proudly more spiritually lead. As I understand it Steiner actually based (used) his whole mission statement on historical farming techniques developed by people a hell of a lot older than us. (Paganism. Compare with how Romans, for instance, used established beliefs based on paganism to fuel power over people.) A time when men lived intimately closer to nature then we "modern" folks in general do now - living in concrete environments. I am not saying I have a firm belief. That's not the point I am making, The point I am making is that who are we to judge! Why can't there be different types of beliefs in agriculture? The same we have Buddhism, Christianity, Voodoo etc etc. Why are you so against respecting old practises? What is so fundamentally right with the new chemically cemented reality we live in? Concluding. My point is that I am tired of and not interested in pie throwing. I'd like to see as many different vine growing techniques coexist, all for the better of diversity and expression. The same way art does. The same way different human cultures do. The Natural movement shouldn't attack conventional practitioners - they should gladly share their knowledge but just do their thing - and let what's in the bottle speak for it self. And that goes for organic, lutte Raisonnee and conventional advocates too. C

2 comments:

  1. I like your approach. I agree with you; it's important to stay up to date & immerse in the debate and not attack or dismiss a certain philosophy - because it is all real, now and what the wine business is about. How far each individual can go down a certain path is personal choice, but no wine producer should forget the importance of being market driven.

    ReplyDelete