Monday 15 August 2011

The Vine Whisperer

Sometimes I spend time reading in my partners office, preferably on the soft fluffy carpet rather than what normal people would do and sit on the leathery sofa. It makes me feel more focused somehow...
At this particular time flicking through a few editions of the oh so well written "The World of Fine Wine" I stumbled upon a very inspiring piece - "THE CUT ABOVE" by Margaret Rand.
I am certain a lot of people in the wine trade already are familiar with Mr. Michel Duclos. For me - a soon to be Wine Production student - it was an utter revelation.

I often get questions like: "What kind of wine would you like to make one day?" or "Where would you like to make that wine?"
These are not simple questions simply because at this point in time all I have is an IDEA of what a winemaker does or how that life would be. I probably even hold quite a rose tinted romanticised view of it all, but then again who wouldn't at the beginning of a dream? Well the more I ask winemakers or read about them, the more I realise I am mostly drawn to viticulture. I love the way Mr. Duclos speaks about the way he see and treat vines. How he "knows" them. That simplicity, balance and common-sense are of the essence. How each and every one of them are an individual who needs to be treated as such. Gosh I must sound slightly mad but this way of working really touches me. This is the way that I would like to learn to work one day. Ultimately the quality and health of the vines determines, the health and quality of the grapes, that determines the real quality of the wine. Unless you fuck it up in the winery that is.

Charlotte x



No comments:

Post a Comment